Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Calf Injury

It felt like someone had shot something into my calf.

I looked around and yelped a “What?”

The others on the basketball court looked at me confused. There was no one there, and nothing had hit me.

The pain was so intense that I was close to passing out a few minutes later, sweating to take small and painfully slow steps.

Turns out that I tore my calf muscle. First time on crutches in my life.

My good friend and sports medicine guru Dr. Chris McGrew, given that I was not jumping or moving when it happened, diagnosed it as “spontaneous combustion.”



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But this piece is not about the injury.

No, that kind of piece belongs in a medical school lecture but not here.

What I have felt most intensely over the last hours since the “spontaneous combustion” is the overwhelming support.

Starting with the guys on the court who went out of their way to take care of me. Thanks to the “Noontime Legends” as we call our group.

As I limped badly to the exit of the gym, a wonderful UNMer went to look for crutches. (I made sure to promote our upcoming Running Medicine season in return. Hey, he was wearing a track and field jacket.)

Within minutes of the injury, Dr. McGrew was on the phone with me, thinking through the next steps.

My family dropped everything and made their way to campus.

And as I limped to across campus Tracy and Tim, two of our long-time members of the Running Medicine community, offered to give me a ride. (I think the exact quote was “I saw you 20 minutes ago and you were about 15 feet from where you are now. Not your normal speed, Anthony.”)

My own clinic, the 1209 Clinic at UNM went out of their way to make room for me to be seen. One of my former students now serving as my provider.

I even noticed the way that passer-bys on UNM’s campus looked on with concern and empathy. They didn’t know what to say or do, but expressed their concern.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I invest in my life in others.

I feel good about this investment. (A piece on that subject from January)

Today, the investment “matured” and showered me with amazing returns.

I also noticed today that it is hard for me to accept the role of “receiver” and “patient”. I need to work on this. 

So, as I limp to bed, here is an update:

My calf hurts.

My heart is filled.

I am grateful.

I wish each of you an amazing Thursday.

7 comments:

  1. Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear this happened.Way to turn lemons in lemonade with your positive perspective. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As providers we like to think we are empathetic to our clients and understand their troubles. It's not until we find ourselves in need, in crisis, in severe pain that we say to ourselves, "How dare I assume I understand the depth of the troubles my clients are feeling?" We see it clearly now with a new level of compassion, a holistic understanding.
    Here is the gift we have been given, deeper insight.
    Yes, to serve is our calling and we do it to our best capacity, never expecting anything back but the satisfaction of being witness to healing. This in itself is ample reward, so when it's our turn to recieve it becomes almost alien to us and we question our worthiness.
    There is no question! We are as ready to recieve as we are to give. This is the completion of the circle of service without which what we give is hollow. We must be include
    d for healing to be complete and fullness realized.
    Heal quickly my brother!
    T/S

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always so refreshing to see how you interpret life's happenings into wisdom. You are so correct - we reap what we sow! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings upon blessings Anthony! Lovingly, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you heal quickly and get back on the court

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a lovely post on our (shared) vulnerability and the way others carry us in such moments. You're a rock in this community, Dr. Fleg, even if a chipped one at the moment! And as a former Noontimer (albeit not a Legend): I miss you guys! And as a former Chris McGrew patient: you're in great hands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch! That did not sound like fun. Im glad, though, that you got the chance to experience the same kind, compassionate energy you and your staff give your patients. I would love to hear an update on what you learned about being the patient and receiving care. I pray you’re healing well.

    ReplyDelete