Friday, March 3, 2023

Privilege

My privilege often opens the door to allow me into the room.

My privilege allows me to dress funny, casual, or the way I want – I don’t have to worry about impressing anyone or about stereotypes placed upon me.

 

Once in the room,

My privilege allows me to speak

My privilege stifles others’ voices

 

White privilege

Male privilege

Doctor privilege

Faculty privilege

Economic/wealth privilege

English-language privilege

High quality education privilege

Parents paying for that education privilege

Heterosexual privilege

Married privilege

Husband privilege

Assumed to be Christian privilege (see White Privilege above)

U.S. Citizen privilege

Living in the U.S. privilege

Able-bodied privilege

Being able to hear and see well privilege

Not having mental illness privilege

BMI < 30 privilege

Height privilege (taller folks are affored power/authority)

Middle-age privilege (not too old or too young to be discounted)

 

And those are only the ones that I can name. Surely, there are others.

 

How do I name and claim this privilege in the room?

How can I better amplify, not silence, others’ voices?

Should I even be in the room at all?

Maybe my best contribution would be to hold the door open, including for people who might not have been on the “invite list”.

I give thanks to the community that continues to teach me how I can be a better custodian of privilege. A group of people who guides me as to whether I should be in the room or not, a group that gives me “privilege pointers” about how to be once in the room.

I give thanks for you – Shannon, Tonya, Anita, Freeman, Val, JP, Karen, Enrique, Jennifer, Danielle, Loni, Marlene, Kee, Christy, Doreen, Moneka, Tanya, Lawrence, Mallery, Angel, Miriam, Sanda, Surya, Vivette, Miriam, Nadia, Hakim, Michael, Chilan, Dustin, Kara, the NHI community and so many more – for the ways that you guide me in this realm with patience and love.

 

Take a few moments today to name your privilege.

Sit with that privilege.

What questions naturally arise for you?

Sit with those questions.

Repeat daily.

Act accordingly.


 


 


7 comments:

  1. Wow!
    The privilege of having you as a brother, physician, Healer, friend and counselor. That privilege comes with great gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots to think about! Also, I really like the graphic -where did it come from? Did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, Anthony! Please keep yourself in the room. People need you. Keep doors open, empower others, giving the space for others to talk. What do you think about using conversation starters with an specific topic to encourage people to express themselves? I'm privileged to know you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura Gonzalez BoscMarch 4, 2023 at 6:57 AM

      The previous comment is from me

      Delete
  4. Wow-I see your ally-ship in these words. As a BIPOC clinician, entering the room is always a "crap shoot" of what I might experience. Thank you for this thoughtful post. Lisa M. Taylo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Appreciate all of my co-authors here! As for the question about the graphic, if you google "wheel of privilege" you will find lots of versions of this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You need to stay in the room, Dr. Fleg. You add so much and with your ability to understand this privilege, which I also am a part of, you continue to work and move toward a more equitable community. I appreciate you sharing this and each day take I take a moment to acknowledge with gratitude what I have been given in this life. I have had more than my share of privileges.

    ReplyDelete