Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Heart Medicine

 


Shijei (my heart)

I hear you beating life’s drum

Can you see and feel me?

 

100,000 times today, you will       beat

                                                     beautyway

                                                     synchrony

                                                     symphony


100,000 times today, I will be reminded how fragile life is.

Will I slow enough

                                                2

                                                                listen?


100,000 times today, a double beat representing    4 valves

                4 chambers

                             (timing their efforts perfectly in the)           4 Directions

                                                                                                        pumping life my way


Shijei,

I bow in gratitude and reverence.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Colors that Speak Words is a collaboration that explores how visual and poetry art translate and transform one another. 

Mallery Quetawki (visual artist) and Anthony (poet) take pieces that each other has done and respond with art/poetry. 

In the piece above, Mallery is responding to Anthony’s poem. 

A larger exhibition of The Colors That Speak Words will be coming to the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center, with opening reception Friday, June 9th. This show will include another poet Chilan Mustain and a calligrapher Blythe Mariano.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today, find a piece of art or a place in nature that speaks to you. Get out a writing utensil and begin to translate and transform that scene into words. Or vice versa - make art to a piece of writing that inspires you.


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this read. So personal and intimate & a reminder to treat our hearts kind. Thank You for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing collaboration. Maybe because of my own history with heart issues or perhaps its the connection to my traditional teachings but this made me felt…a feeling. I’m not sure what feeling it is exactly but i like that I get to sit with it for a moment. The artwork is spectacular and the poem brings it to life.

    ReplyDelete