Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Stop Thinking! Start Praying!

Stop Thinking!

Start Praying!

I had become quite fatigued, only a few miles into the Run to Break the Silence that was held this past Sunday. The course was challenging indeed – we ran on the foothills trails of Sandia Pueblo with lots of ups and downs. Very few flat sections.

The issue with my fatigue was that I had entered the half marathon. So, at the time I started to think of how nice it would be to go collapse on the side of the road and just cheer on other runners, I had about 9 of the 13 miles still to complete.

Stop Thinking!

Start Praying!

I said this softly at first. I repeated it a few more times. I began to listen to what I was saying. Within a few minutes, I began to actually practice it.

Now, as I made this switch I had not yet begun the 4+ miles of unrelenting uphill in the race. But I wasn’t thinking anymore as I turned into this section.

I was praying.

I prayed for ones who have crossed over. My dear friend Allen who passed in this last week. 

I prayed for those on healing journeys - Loren, Carrie, and my patients.

I put prayers for Feast Day toward the Sandia Pueblo community.

I began to take in the beauty of the foothills and Sandias. I began to feel the sacred sites that were around us as we ran. I took in the energy of the Ancestors who had lived and prayed and run on this same land.

I gave thanks for being able to move. As the race was to support a school for deaf children, I took in with extra attention the things I was hearing. A gift often taken for granted.

I began to repeat a hip hop line from Black Thought as we kept climbing – “Don’t mistake a mountain for an obstacle.”

Before I knew it, 8 of the 9 miles has passed behind me and my prayers. The finishing stretch was in front of me.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When today gives you an “uphill” moment, try this out yourself:

Stop Thinking!

Start Praying!

Doesn’t matter how steep or long the uphill. Whatever your spiritual path, whatever the language in which you feel comfortable giving thanks, try it.

Stop Thinking!

Start Praying!



1 comment:

  1. Great recap of your race experience, and sorry for your loss. As enjoyable as running can be, especially with a group like RM, we can face challenging times where our mindset is crucial to the outcome of our enjoyment. It seems we share a similar sentiment about how to respond when the going gets tough. Stop Thinking! Start Praying!

    ReplyDelete