Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Arlene's Journey

Writing as a way to process

Writing as a way to create community.

Writing as a way to speak truths.

Writing as a way to speak our own truth.

Writing to heal.

 

The journey has been a beautiful one, 30 months long. With a group of people who have created their own space through this blog. A few contemplating writing their own books as a result.

Our sister Arlene Espinoza-Armijo invoked the Writing to Heal energy in a heartfelt post last week. To me, it was a moment that made me realize that the larger purpose for this project and blog is to inspire others to find space of their own. To empower others to find their voice and then use it. And today is a chance for me to step aside and let her voice ring through this medium.

Arlene and her husband Jesse are an amazing couple who serve our ABQ community relentlessly, have been trying to have a child for some time. Let me stop there, and instead let Arlene’s words do the talking…show your love and support by posting a comment on the blog!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

This past month has been one of the hardest, most revealing, and affirming months ever. I celebrated a birthday, I launched new products into the world with my business partner, created events, traveled, spent time with amazing humans and heard their stories, watched my nieces and nephews grow and play sports, ran a ton of miles, and @jessearmijo & I experienced a miscarriage.

We have been fighting to grow our family for what feels like an eternity now and like so many 
#fertility
 stories ours hit a bump and left me feeling like I might not get up this time. I’ve grappled with sharing this so publicly for a while now, but as we’ve navigated the rocky terrain of grief, I’ve realized, that these types of stories need to be shared. We need to normalize talking about #fertility & #miscarriages & #grief & #therapy with our families, friends, and community. And not gloss over it or pay attention to these real-life realities when a celebrity shares their truth or when laws threaten our safety. These experiences are part of our intricate, complicated, and beautiful lives, therefore deserving of space and dialogue.

As someone who prides myself on honesty & authenticity, and lives for connection with others - I cannot hide behind the shadow of my current reality, my grief, my complicated yet abundantly beautiful life, continuing to smile and act like things are a-okay! Because that would be a lie and that would be inauthentic to who I am.

So, I am here, sharing my vulnerable truth. Hoping that in these sentences those who feel heartbroken, sad, misunderstood, and disappointed will know that your stories, your sadness, and your truth, are allowed to take up space. You don’t have to push down the hard stuff to accommodate others - feel what you need to and reach out to others for support.

Life is hard and can be messy but keep putting one foot in front of the next and breathe. I am holding space for you and me - and if you ever need a friend to sit with you in the messy parts, I am here. 🤍

All my love.
#writingtoheal


5 comments:

  1. As I read these beautiful words of wisdom, I suddenly feel vulnerable and yet safe at the same time. Thank you for giving me permission to be and feel and act as my honest self again. Life is messy and it's wonderful to know there is a place in this community I can find my footing again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your words from the heart Arlene! You are beautiful, strong, loving, caring, and a supportive mother to the community. You are considered an auntie-'mom' to most of the youth in your lives. Keep radiating that positive energy, honesty, vulnerability, and true feeling of just being human. Thank you for sharing your love with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your difficult and often unspoken journey; we grieve with you. Wishing you much love and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have known you and Jesse for years now but I must tell you we admire your character, personality and love for the ABQ Community. I recall the many times you have shared your passion for life and taking the stage in life to be the voice so many respect. Thank you to you and my brother Jesse for the leadership you have demonstrated over the years. Solomon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending love, thank you for being authentically you. <3

    ReplyDelete