Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Becoming American

We arrived at the Albuquerque Convention Center on a recent Friday morning.

It was a big day for the Kandie family. Janet and Solomon are amazing people who give their energy toward our Albuquerque community – Janice as a nurse and Solomon as an IT guru who works for our city.

Both had worked diligently for over twenty years as Kenyans toward American citizenship. Janice received her citizenship a few months earlier and today was Solomon’s turn. As an accomplished marathon runner, this process was truly his biggest test of endurance.

In typical government speech, the letter to Solomon read:

Walking in, there was an incredible energy in the building.

Languages from across the world being spoken, a beautiful symphony.

Families large and small gathered to similarly mark the end of a long journey toward becoming American.

Some wore attire from their homelands proudly. Others has USA emblazoned gear.

(A funny moment was showing up to surprise Solomon dressed in African dashiki while he dressed in a suit)

I found myself filled with joy as I thought of how each of these individuals have overcome hardships; In their homelands, and right here in the U.S., each of them had to overcome so much to be here.

I thought of the amazing amount of support that each of them needed, from family to legal representation, to make this day a reality.

Solomon is waving his flag as the ceremony begins

I also faced some tough questions:

What does being American mean to me?

Why do I not feel the patriotism that these people in front of me do?

Why do I not feel as proud of my country as I once did?

If I traveled abroad, would I be proud to tell people the country I come from?

Why do I take for granted the un-earned privilege that comes with being a U.S. Citizen?

How do I use my U.S. citizenship to improve the lives of others?

 

I wonder if those questions are meaningful for you, and if so, how we go about answering them for ourselves and together.

I have reflected since that day on how I can become more positive toward my country and the un-realized ideals on which it stands. Recognizing the privileges I have as a U.S. citizen on a regular basis, thinking of people like the Kandies who work for decades just to be counted in this group.

I think my patriotism is expressed more in “we can do better” and finding out how to make it so, and for me those are more important than waving an American flag or wearing red, white and blue gear.

I am convinced that reflecting on what becoming American means for those of us who are U.S. citizens is just as relevant as it was for those in the Convention Center ceremony that day.

Friends of the family from the local running community presented a cake for the 
Kandie family later that evening. A long race was finally done/won!


6 comments:

  1. Different perspectives based on privilege, positionality, and lineage. My ideas about being American shifted when I found myself marching alongside 10,000 Hawaiians chanting "WE ARE NOT AMERICANS!" They are reclaiming their place on the Hawaiian Islands and creating awareness that the U.S. is illegally occupying their Islands. Your comment reading, "recognizing the beautiful, if un-realized, ideals on which it stands." makes me think of what that means in my own ancestral homelands. Our current struggles in protecting sacred places. The struggle for Natives to own land while colonization and gentrification occurs all around us. Yet we have many veteran family members that we love n respect. A few thoughts as we reflect on being a merican.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow sister! Your perspective is true and your words powerful. What is citizenship? Is it ownership? If so what do we really own? Maybe ourselves, for a while only. Then we give it back to the Mother, like everything else. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Doreen, thank you for this. I struggled with that word "beautiful" and actually took it out now. I was going to use "lofty" but that also doesn't work for me, as what they were envisioning was for white male landowners in a manifest destiny/white supremacy context. Sentence now reads, "recognizing the un-realized ideals on which it stands". Thank you sister. The conversation is where the healing takes place.

      Delete
    3. I Was so surprised to see my HERPES VIRUS cured because all my doctor told me there was no cure, only Dr Muthuka on YouTube encouraged me and gave me his herbal medicine which I use in treating my HERPES VIRUS. You can also email him via muthukaherbalhome@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2349039175109 thanks Dr muthuka
      https://drmuthukaherbalcenter.webs.com
      https://www.facebook.com/Muthukaherbalremedy/

      Delete
  2. What is sad is that many Americans, myself included, would not be able to answer the questions that immigrants must learn to become a US citizen.

    Their knowledge of the United States and what is means to be American far out weights what we should know. Yes, we take for granted all that allows us to be American.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For those who have the courage and and perseverance to emigrate to the U.S., go through what it takes to earn citizenship, I lift my hat and make a gentle bow. The perception of being an American citizen to those coming from less privileged country's is attractive and gives a sense of freedom they may never of had.
    This is the perception, may it become reality for these lovely people.

    ReplyDelete