Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Honoring Our Women

A day to recognize the beautiful women in our lives.

Moms and grandmothers.

Sisters and aunties.

Incredible women that make each of us who we are.

My momma, Rosemarie. A loving, beautiful person who I consider friend, mentor, role model, but always and most important, momma. Honoring you today.

My momma Susie. A strong, loving presence in my life. Never an in-law, just “shima”. Honoring you today.

My wife, Shannon. My partner in life’s journey and someone I have loved from our first meeting. I admire and respect you more than I am able to tell you. Honoring you today.

Mom Susie, Shannon and Mom Rosie (L --> R) on wedding day, 6/18/05

My grandmothers Elaine, Rose, Mae and Mary. I love you for your feisty and daring ways that you chose to be you in times that did not allow women to assert themselves. You produced amazing sons and daughters who shine brilliant rays of your light. Honoring you today.

My sisters Shelly, Danielle, Loni, Kee, Christy, Jennifer, Monica, Moneka, Sasha, Theresa, Magi, Anzia, Jazz, Janice, Julianna, Dakota, Lynette, Leah, Carey and all of the others who emanate love and beauty and teach me about life endlessly. Honoring you today.

My aunties Ida, Lois, Phylis, Eileen, Alane, Tonya, Eloise, Beverly, Kristine, Ella, Karen, Yosa and all of the others who take the time to mold and scold me in an eternal embrace. Honoring you today.

Grandmom Rose and Aunt Ida, 1985ish

And to the three beautiful young ladies who call me daddy - Nizhoni, Shandiin, and Sihasin - I am thankful you chose me for that duty. Honoring you today.

I have learned from my wife and Dine’ family that all of us who identify as men carry feminine in us. It is the balance to our masculine traits. We all carry the bloodline of strong, beautiful women. I honor this part of who I am today.

I know that I can do more to protect and honor women. And I will take today as a day to reflect on how I can improve in this realm.

Let us all honor the women in our lives today. Tomorrow as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment