Thursday, February 17, 2022

Loosen Your Grip

I was on bike, my favorite way to get around town.

A big speed bump loomed ahead.

I knew I was about to be jarred by the imposing structure.

What is the best way for a biker in this situation to avoid falling off the bike?

What would you do?

The answer might surprise you.

As I approached the speed bump, I loosened my grip on the handlebar. Almost to the point of letting go, with the slightest feel of rubber grazing my fingers.

By doing so, the biker gains stability and gives themselves the best chance of not being thrown from the bike.

Our natural instinct says “clench down” and “hold on for dear life” but doing the opposite lessens the jolting and jarring from the bump.

Yes, natural instinct often points us in the right direction. But not always. Beyond leading us to fall, gripping tighter will lead us to perseverate on the speed bump, blaming it incessantly to no one’s benefit.


Today, when a bump in the road arises, try this:

Pause for a moment.

Acknowledge your instinct to grip tighter.

But don’t follow it.

Gently loosen your grasp, breathing deep and slow. Release all tension.

Enjoy the ride as the bump passes beneath you.

Notice how centered and stable you can be despite the obstacle.

Another deep breath as the bump in the road passes into your rear view.

If you aren’t one for figurative language, get on a bike and test it out.

 

Enjoy the bumps in your road today. Life puts them there to strengthen us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Had to share this fun picture from Thursday morning, having survived a snowy bike across town to the hospital. You might say the speed bump was a driving snowstorm in this case. 
But loosening my grip still worked quite well. I joked that I got my hair frosted without even needing a beauty salon.

3 comments:

  1. Great reminder and funny snowy pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TY for the reminders. Took n released 2 deep breaths while reading. Hagd

    ReplyDelete
  3. great advise. I find I loosen my grip when I also ride on certain bike paths around town that have roots growing under them. It's easier on the bum, too!

    ReplyDelete