Friday, January 28, 2022

Fighting for Life


It was a rather silly idea.

Early January 2021. I was finishing a run that began hours earlier.

I had used my feet to get 6 miles away to help lead one of our Running Medicine sessions.

Ran and played with youth and families.

Then headed back home, another 6 miles. I was a mile from home and had the silly idea.

“I wonder if I could run this last mile real fast?”

It pushed me to end the run with an effort that I wouldn’t have otherwise mustered.

Broke 6 minutes. 5:59.86 to be exact.

From this unplanned, spontaneous, kid-like moment sprung something special.

The next week, I finished a run similarly. Last mile under 6 minutes.

Fifteen weeks later, the streak was still alive. Every week, usually my Friday morning run, would end with one fast mile at the end no matter where the run was or how far I had gone.

A wellness goal has been born. Sort of an unplanned pregnancy, you might say.

In this first month of the year, many of you have created a new wellness habit. Something that challenges you to be a better you. 

For me, it was a fast mile to end the run.

For you it might be time for stillness. Or a new way of eating. Maybe a new morning routine that starts the day with self-care. A new way of daddying or mommying. A goal to achieve better work-life balance.

And if you are still looking for inspiration for new ways of wellness, my example reminds us that it doesn’t have to come from a long thought-out process. It doesn’t require a meditation retreat. It might just need a spark from today or this weekend. Mixed with a desire to “fight for life” as one elder Sam Montoya calls it, and you have the needed ingredients to a new wellness journey.

To life!

To wellness!

To a new you in 22!

 

"Fight for Life" explained:

*Mr. Montoya recently told me, “I need to get this knee better so I can keep fighting for life.” I looked at him with raised eyebrows, "Huh?". 

Sam remembers times when families had to work hard just to get food on the table, raising livestock, butchering, hunting. To stay warm, one cut wood to feed the fire. There was a literal fight for life just to survive. He reminds that even if we live today in a privileged way with food on the table, with heat that comes on with a thermostat, we must “fight for life” as a way of honoring it. Getting up early to greet the new day. Pushing ourselves physically, mentally, culturally, and spiritually. Looking for ways that strengthen our character, as opposed to looking for easiest path.

Sam teaches that we are strengthened by “fighting for life”, not allowing the comforts of life to entice us into laziness and complacency. It is the ultimate way to give thanks for each day, fighting as warriors in the most peaceful way to become better people for our family and community. And yes, for ourselves. Thank you, Sam.

3 comments:

  1. I just returned from a three night stay in the far reaches of Colorado. The 10th Mountain Division hut system has an interesting history but for me it was the chance to realize a wish I've had since I first noticed the signs north of Leadville. To be in an extreme environment (Over 11k feet altitude) with only 5 other humans was a treasure I'll always have. So grateful to have a body that allows me this pleasure and fortunate to have the time to relax and make new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you brother and thank you Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Dr. Fleg for your words of wisdom and thank you Mr. Montoya for keeping the fight alive as you say "to honor" life.

    ReplyDelete