Friday, November 20, 2020

Bowls into Cabinets

 

How does a clean bowl get put back into the cabinets?

Not a trick question, but a real dilemma if you are a little one.

Dwarfed by the imposing height of the cabinets, my kiddos huddled to discuss.

Eavesdropping, here is what I heard,

Small legs.

Big cabinets.

Clean bowls.

Should we just go play?

I need to go potty.

 

Like any respectable adult, I tried to re-focus my mind on real things. Quickly move on from this frivolity to things adults should be thinking about

What shirt to re-wear for work from the couch today? Pajama pants again?

How to balance personal wellness and being up-to-date in my pandemic news consumption today?

Why aren’t there any clean bowls in the cabinet?

Should we just go play?

I need to go potty.

 

About a week later, not intending to get to the bottom of the mystery, I did just that. Catching a glimpse of the children shuttling clean bowls to empty cabinets, I snuck with fatherly deftness around the kitchen’s perimeters.

Channeling my inner James Bond, looking over my shoulders for any sign of “bad guys”, I crouched low.

Ouch. A bit too low.

Should have stretched out before trying that.

Here is what I saw:


When life gives you imposing challenges today and in these next weeks, become the child you still are. Throw away ego and figure out who it is around you who can help you reach the cabinets. 

As COVID roars, the cabinets seem higher than normal, the kitchen is lonely, and the bowls are staring at you. In those moments, become a little one again. Reach out, reach up for the support you need. Think about friends, family, neighbors who might be reaching for the cabinet, and offer a hand before they ask.

And finally, give in to those two nagging thoughts we adults so carefully suppress:

Should we just go play?

I need to go potty.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Behind every child putting a bowl into a cabinet there’s a parent wishing they had some help putting all the bowls into cabinets. Good parenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insulated by Love!

    I can't stop smiling.
    Oops, too late for the potty! 😯

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each week, I think: Oh, this is my favorite blog entry! Well, THIS week, this is my favorite entry for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this on Friday and pondered it all weekend. Immediately it brought a smile to my face. It is a beautiful, simple reminder, we need each other. I feel like when things get tough, rely on and get back to the basics. It is funny how good you will feel while and after doing the basics again. Seeing them, and not taking it for granted.

    ReplyDelete