Thursday, May 14, 2020

The shoe-less hike






We had escaped to hike, a Mother’s Day celebration.

I was depleted, finishing a 7-day stretch of hospital medicine in the new world order – face masks, globs of hand sanitizer, lonely patients, and some conversations reduced from in-person to tablets.

So depleted, in fact, that I worried if I could muster energy to make Mother’s Day special for my wife.

“Get the kids ready, pack them in the car,” I texted as I left the hospital.

I knew if I could avoid slumping into a chair or onto a bed, I had a chance.

So it went – “Dad’s home” followed a minute later by the car starting our escape into the Sandia Mountains that shadow our city of Albuquerque.

We arrived. The ritual of checklist that comes with having four children began. Water bottles? Check. Sunscreen? Check. Hats? Check. All children present? Check.

All looked to be in order until my personal check. Shoes? Shoes? In my haste to leave, I had left shoes behind.

Leaving me with a quick decision to make. Option 1: Smile and enjoy a shoe-less hike, saving our Mother’s Day adventure from crashing to a halt. Option 2: “Everyone back in the car. Wave to the hike that would have been.”

Option 1 is our world.

Making the best out of the less-than-optimal, far-from-normal options. Option 1 is virtual 
birthday parties, graduations, and weddings. Option 1 is our decision not to give up, not to give in, but to get creative.

So we hiked. Passerbys trying not to stare too long at my socks. A few made jokes. One family with young children asked “What happened to your shoes?” as they headed up the trail as we made our way back to the car.

“A bear just jumped out of nowhere and snatched them. Said he wanted Nikes.”

The “really??” look on the faces was a small victory for my defeated feet, stinging from the rocks and roots incessantly poking from underneath. My wife, citing social decency and Navajo tradition that says by naming an animal you call them to you, gave me that look, ending my shoe-less victory dance.

My feet survived, the hike was saved, and Mother’s Day happened. Maybe my feet were even strengthened by the uncomfortable experience.

Today will give us such moments, with an Option 1 in each case that does not feel like the right answer, but which is the best option.

Pick Option 1. Be proud. Get excited for what this path might hold. Feel free to laugh - at yourself, at your feet, at the moment - if needed.

Option 1, as a friend reminded is simply this: “Don’t fight the current, find the current and flow with it.”

My 5 biggest motivations to go with Option 1 (from L-R are my wife Shannon, son Bah'hozhooni, and daughters Nizhoni, Sihasin and Shandiin)


12 comments:

  1. As always, your story, photo and perspective made me smile.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing what I do, I read this with a smile as water welled in my eyes. Then I sat for a moment to let the words marinate. Then I thought about being a mobile, agile being, and that must have come from some movie I've watched. Which inevitably led to research. Doing that research I found this quote from Tony Robbins - "Stay committed to your decisions, but stay flexible in your approach."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I love this, and I'm sure the earth loved her foot massage :) thank you for writing and sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fighting the current zaps our strength - less work involved when we flow with it. Thank you again for sharing your adventure with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always a great read! We're definitely going to stay focused on Option 1 and keep moving forward. Any problems, we'll steal your Bear line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you didn't slip on all those banana peels! Be safe and stay healthy - and many thanks for taking care of all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you put the alternative to “normalcy” as “option 1”, and not “plan B”. It is easier to look at alternative options, the ones that make us uncomfortable, as a last resource mode. My lesson here is to try to look at the options we have now as option 1, hope it feels easier to choose them when we look at them differently, and try to walk in them as gracefully as you hiked on socks. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet a shaman would say your spirit wanted you to forget those shoes. You were disconnected inside of yourself and speeding away from your center. Grounding for a day like that, can be a rather amazing way of pulling into your center again. Happy for you. I'll have to look for my option 1s this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Opinion 1 , was your best choice. I love the socks��
    Now I know what to buy for xmas instead of tamales. I selected anonymous cause I know your going to know who this is. ����

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Really enjoyed your inspirational, encouraging and funny story, Dr. Fleg! Thanks for sharing this with me. Also, thanks for the new address where I will be sending my Mom's signed Directive for Healthcare. So appreciate your kind and caring treatment of my mother, Adelina! Be well and stay healthy and safe for yourself, for all your lucky patients, and those five beautiful motivations of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you very much for this great post. I read that Post and got it fine and informative. Please share more like that. report代写

    ReplyDelete