Tuesday, April 21, 2020

In memory of Cheii Bahe Manybeads, 6.20.25 - 4.4.20


Cheii Bahe Manybeads (left) with his brother Cheii Eddie (right) with Shannon on our wedding day.


Grandpa
Uncle
Brother
Cheii
Hatałii

Our grandpa, 95 years this June,
Has crossed over to next world, the virus ushering him forward

Loving embrace still felt
Laughter echoing
Learning carried on by all he touched
Leaving us to follow his lead

                             How to serve others
                             How to master the simple life
                             How to cultivate our medicine


From my wife Shannon, as she remembers

Cheii Bahe Manybeads was a man that was never a great uncle, or just my Cheii (maternal grandfather) Eddie’s brother.

He was my Cheii, and I am very fortunate to have known him for all these years. I probably met him in my youth but don’t remember. But I never knew my Cheii Eddie had a brother, and I had an aunts and uncles from that relationship. I was fortunate to rekindle the relationship when I was in high school.

My Cheii Bahe was always considered to be very intelligent. My mother explained that he was one who finished school, learning how to speak and read not only in English but Diné too! He was one of my inspirations for continuing school, and keeping my traditional perspective in Diné. He was also one I think of as being really funny, while being so serious at the same time. When my mother and I visited him and his wife, he would like to tell stories, and show his new inventions to something he made. He also enjoyed when we brought my Cheii Eddie and Masani Mae to visit. But he really liked it when his brother Eddie visited them. I would just listen to them talk about the things they had done 30 years ago, as if it just happened the day before.  

Their relationship reminded me of how love and faith keep a friendship alive. They taught that each day should not be taken for granted. They taught me life is precious, they taught me to respect all are our relations. They taught me, to just be me, no matter what changed around me.  I trusted, honored, respected, and loved these two gentlemen.

When it can time for me to marry, my Cheii Bahe is one gentleman I wanted to be involved with the Diné marriage ceremony. And so, I asked him if he could do the honors of provide the medicine for our marriage. At first, he was hesitant because like all Diné grandfathers he was stingy. He was wondering, “Who is this guy that wants to marry my granddaughter? Is he worthy? How much is he going to give me?”

He gave me a hard time, asking with a smile, “Is this the guy?” He made me laugh so much, and I kept telling him “Yes!” I had to ask my aunt to help get him to say “yes” to carrying out the ceremony, like I was asking him to marry me. He eventually gave in, leading the blessing of walking me into my Diné marriage with my husband and both of our families.

Ahéhee’ (thank you) for giving the blessing of marriage.

Cheii was more than an Hatałii (Medicine Man).

He was the medicine.


Hózhó náhásdlíí’
Hózhó náhásdlíí’
Hózhó náhásdlíí’
Hózhó náhásdlíí’

2 comments:

  1. First time I didn't feel fear with reading about the virus. I felt calm and peace. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dr Fleg for sharing this special memory. Sorry for your family's loss.

    ReplyDelete