Thursday, February 8, 2024

Mission: Making Others Feel Special

I was finishing a check-in with my supervisor earlier this week.

I thought we were done. Then she said, “Before we end this meeting, are there any people you would like to give a shout out to for their work to support you?”

It was a great question, but one I hadn’t prepared for.

I stalled for time.

“Isn’t the weather nice today?” (It wasn’t)

“Is it me, or is it cold in here?” (Darn, that doesn’t really work well for Zoom meetings, huh?)

“Did you hear about the game last night?” (The Lobos lost. I shouldn’t have brought it up)

Finally, I had a few names for her. I talked about how these people had supported my journey.

Shortly after the meeting, my supervisor sent an email to these peoples’ supervisor to share the praise I gave them for their work.

To me, this really simple practice was worth sharing with you all.

It was a change in direction from what we usually think as the “agenda” when asked to meet with a supervisor, taking the attention from “How are you doing”” to “How are we doing?”

A concrete way to improve all of our work and service.

I felt great for being able to share praise and then see the people recognized in a meaningful way.

I am sure the people receiving the praise smiled a bit.

And I sense that it brought joy to my supervisor to have this on the agenda for her check-ins with folks.


So, beautiful people, here is the recipe:

1. Make an intention to make someone feel special today.

2. Turn #1 into an act today. Put recognition of others on your agenda, your to-do list.

3. Repeat #1 and #2 tomorrow and onward.

4. Watch great things happen - inward and outward.



Graphic obtained from Piyussh Nasa's Linked-In Account


1 comment: