Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Silence

I listened over these last weeks, hearing patients, friends, and family members talk about what they are seeking over the winter holidays.

To summarize what I have heard in one word:

Silence.

I hear a need to quiet the chatter and clamor, internal and external.

In a world addicted to noise, where every moment is furiously filled with sound, our bodies yearn for that space where we can again hear our breath breathing life.

Where will you find silence in these next weeks?

How will you actively create space for silence?

What do your traditions teach you about silence?

What sound does silence have for you?

 

I can remember one of my first conversations with silence. 

I was on the Navajo Nation for the first time, seeing a landscape that was completely new to me. I knew cities and highways and constant noise, but I lacked an appreciation for the vastness of the desert. I was on a run (surprise!) and had gotten far from town and suddenly silence was upon me.

Silence became stillness.

I stopped moving to commune with what I was hearing.

And I was indeed hearing something.

Silence was loud, in a sense.

It was a life force pressing upon malleus, incus and stapes (bones of the ear).

Silence, I discovered, was not the absence of sound, but the presence of something. Myself. The Divine. Life speaking to me, frustrated that I had drowned it out with so much noise.

I bowed, asking for forgiveness, and continued to listen.

Stillness.

Silence.

Heartbeat pounding.

Eyes taking in the mesas before me.

 

 

My relatives, look for ways to invite silence in over these next weeks.

Know that she wants to be invited into your sphere.

She has been waiting patiently for you to seek her out.

 

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few thoughts for your journey with silence…

Get outside and find silence in a place you have wanted to explore.

Curl up with a pen and paper and write. Or doodle.

After busy days with family, make time and space for silence before resting head to pillow.

Go screen-free for a period of time. (Try this with everyone in your house)

I will share a personal practice that I do each winter break that has been quite helpful in this quest. I shut off my phone for 9-10 days, understanding that these devices create much of the noise in our lives. After a first day where there is a legitimate withdrawal symptoms (as with any addictive substance taken away), I notice how things slow. My thinking slows. My ability to be present improves.


John Cage produced a piece 4'33'' in which the musicians are instructed to sit in silence with their instruments for the duration of the piece. As Mr. Cage says, "Everything we do is music". This is a  performance of 4'33''.


7 comments:

  1. Nature's silence which is full is my sanctuary. It is where Creation speaks to me in symbols. The cottonwood reaching to heaven like nerve endings the synapse alive and active...no words can really describe the magnificence. But if you listen with your heart your can feel the sparking of connection between heaven and the Mother.
    Ahh silence but filled with universal knowledge, available in the stillness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful Anthony. I too, look forward to silence over the next few days. Especially tomorrow night, as I honor the winter solstice. Silence and eventually a candle are all I need as I welcome the darkness and look forward to the light. Thank you for being an awesome teacher and healer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How beautiful. Thank you for sharing your practice.

      Delete
  3. I always know where my phone is, it’s usually within arms reach, and even if I’m engaged with something else, on some level, I am just waiting to be with my phone again. Even though the majority of us have this kind of relationship with our smartphones, I know this is not normal. Yet, I don’t know how to detox.

    I had an idea for an experiment last year that I never followed through with:

    * No iphone for 40 days. End your smartphone addiction and start using a flip phone
    * Why even do this? Benefits, costs, worries?
    * Will the mind and dopamine receptors be free again?
    * How to do this? Cell phones, GPS, cameras, camcorders
    * How do ipads, laptops, tv play in? Are they crutches? Or still able to create the healthy environment.
    * Check in, document experience
    * Before and after ask the same series of questions. To see if you are closer to goal of breaking addiction, healthier relationship with phone/ mind/ daily life/ FREEDOM

    Your post revived my desire to free myself from this addiction. It feels impossible in this modern world. And the world through the screen is so alluring. So I have my doubts for the long term… but I also have my resolve to be a strong free thinker with impact. 💪🏼

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will be sharing your post with my community before announcing my 40-day hiatus from all the noise. 🙏🏼

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post speaks to me in multiple ways as I navigate my typical daily needs, and as I’m getting ready to enter into motherhood in a few days. As an introvert working in an extroverted career (education), I often need some time to myself on a daily basis to recharge my battery in silence. This may look like taking lunch in my office to create some space for myself during the day or to do so by taking even just 5-10 minutes in my car before entering the house. I have even gotten better with voicing my need for silence and quiet restoration to others when feeling over stimulated.

    Now as I prepare to bring my first child into this world, I hope to remember to give the gift of silence to myself daily to support my own mental health. This is where I’ll lean on my partner when I need to take a break or to go run to the store or go for a walk by myself to recharge. I’ve been inconsistent with my meditation practice, but hope to also reincorporate that into my daily routine.

    Thank you always for the words of wisdom you consistently share with all of us…we all definitely deserve to give this gift to ourselves! And not a one-time gift, but one on auto-renew 🙂

    ReplyDelete