Friday, June 11, 2021

Something Else

 It might have seemed to the newsroom staff an innocuous choice of words.

CNN, in the heat of the 2020 Presidential election season, put up a poll listing racial groups.

In the Native American community, the idea of being “something else” hit a chord. A group of people who have struggled for recognition ever since Europeans’ arrival, “something else” was far more than a grammatical error, a semantic mis-step. It was another blow to a people treated for 500+ years as less-than, not good enough. (Link to local article on the response to the incident)


Indigenous creative minds got to work. There was a call for the Washington Football Team to be named the “Washington Something Elses”. You heard things like, “It’s a good day to be something else.”

I am honored to share an artistic response to this moment. Art as protest. Art as resilience. Art speaking what words cannot.

Mallery Quetawki is a friend, a colleague and an incredible artist from Zuni Pueblo. She shared this piece and her reflections on what was behind the art. Take in the art and let it speak to you for two minutes. Breathe it in. Soak it in. Hear its message. Then, take a look at Mallery’s own words.

Mallery, my sister, like all of your art, this piece is indeed…something else!!! Wow!!!

 


I sit here and think what my feelings were when I created the "Something Else" painting.  I was more amused that folks can still get away with marginalizing our communities even when our presences is ever so loud nowadays.  I felt that there needs to be a reminder of who lived, loved and died on the soils of America before it was America.  Just the idea that our identities and our tight knit societies are so romanticized like it only happens in the movies or when they talk about our people they say things like "were" or "was" in a past tense like we aren't living that way at all anymore, is what sparked the idea of utilizing technology, ancient art practices and a small amount of protest.  We may be assimilated to western society in material manners, education and social systems but we are still very much tied/entwined to the ancient way, which is something embedded in all our circuits and throughout our cells and helixes.  More of a warning shot that we are rising up and being louder and being just as educated as our colonizers that these "something elses" have power to add to the circuits of the American Machine. We are no longer standing idle but taking on endeavors that take us to places such as the Department of the Interior and taking seats and saving the open ones around us one Pendleton (blanket) at a time.

7 comments:

  1. Nice! I have a small reproduction of one of her thoughtful pieces (20 x 30 inches, pastel and ink, part of a 12-piece display at Zuni IHS from 2007), depicting the bones of the human thorax etched with traditional Zuni designs. Something else indeed! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Yes this has been the theme this week for sure. An awakening, a deep breath in. The Mother of us all beginning to be seen again, but never lost by the First Nation Peoples.
    With inspiration, hope and a thirst for sanity, may we see through the eyes of the wise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had not heard of this until now. Thanks for posting it. Power dynamics are shifting….very…..slow….ly….ultimately it’s pointing to a better outcome. Little seismic shifts like this will slowly topple the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful response and art piece. I dislike the fact that our family’s heritages are consistently marginalized and any effort to shed light on this travesty is criticized by the “anti-woke” folks who can tell their hand from their foot. One day my brother, we will get there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing, love Mallory’s words. She speaks from the heart. Creator loves variety and that is something else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for Mallery! And hooray for you for bringing her work to us.
    Thank you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its a pleasure for me to write this testimony about how i got my Genital Herpes simplex been reading so many comments of some people who were cured from various diseases by Dr ubarlo but i never believed them. I was hurt and depressed so I was too curious and wanted to try Dr ubarlo, then i contacted him through his email when i contact him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, i pleaded with him to help me out. My treatment was a great success, he healed me just as he promised. he sent me his medication and ask me to go for check up after one weeks of taking the medication. i agreed with him i took this medication and went for check up a , to my greatest surprise my result was negative after the treatment, i am really happy that i am cured and healthy again. I have waited for 3weeks to be very sure i was completely healed before writing this testimony. I did another blood test one week ago and it was still Herpes negative. so i guess its time i recommend anyone going through Herpes HSV-1 or HSV-2, HIV, HPV, Hepatitis B, Diabetes, Cancer reach him through Email drubarlohome@gmail.com OR add on whatsapp +2348119508814

    ReplyDelete